Lead Magnet Opt-in Incentives
When it comes to choosing an incentive for your offer, you have a wide range of options. Here are a few lead magnet content formats that are used widely and successfully to provide readers with solutions, info, and items they want and need most. In the process, your opt-in incentives serve as product samples to new leads, as well as help you to grow and maintain your potential customer base.
- Cheat Sheets
- Short Reports
- Step-By-Step Guides
- Resource Lists
- Apps, Plugins, Software
- Free Graphics
- Free Trials
When selecting the format of the “solution” or information you provide in the opt-in offer, choose the format that best serves your purpose and solves the problem for your readers. You also need to make sure that your lead magnet is helpful, appealing, and it effectively accomplishes the goals you’ve set for the opt-in offer.
Create Effective Lead Magnets
Everyone loves to get freebies. However, you can’t offer just any old freebie and expect to get massive signups. While there are people who signup for anything as long as it’s free, these freebie seekers are not your target market. Your target market has very specific characteristics and needs. It’s their qualities, situations, and pain points that you want to highlight and address in your opt-in offers’ lead magnet incentive to make the overall opt-in offer more effective.
In addition to incorporating what you know about your target market, there are other strategies and essential elements, which help ensure that your lead magnet is doing a good job. Here are a few things you want to keep in mind as you create the most effective lead magnet possible for your business and your potential customers.
- Quick Usability – Effective lead magnets should be accessed quickly, usually within a day or so. This allows the audience to begin implementing the solution or applying the information almost immediately. Quick delivery helps to build trust, which means they’re more likely to respond to your follow up email messages.
- Comprehensible – The offers and lead magnets must be clear and easy for the target audience to understand. Matching your audience and lead magnet with an experience level can help ensure that new subscribers don’t opt-in to an offer that is beyond their experience level or need. Use simple terms/concepts for newbies and use more advanced terms/concepts for advanced learners. This helps cut the frustration level and the unsubscribe rate down to a minimum. Identify who it’s for and who it’s not for.
- Quick Results –The best lead magnets quickly provide a certain degree of relief from specific pain points related to a problem or question. Quick results help to build your authority and expert status on the topic, which prompts your audience to buy paid products and provide you with earned media.
- Laser Targeted – Offers, solutions, and information must be laser targeted to the audience that you want to sign up for your email list. Use a profile persona, created from your demographic research, to make sure your offers and lead magnets always contain solutions and words that are specific to the audience segment and topic. This helps to keep freebie seekers and confusion to a minimum, as well as keeping your list clean.
- Funnel Vision – Whether you do it at the end of the lead magnet document or in a follow up email, give your new subscribers a hint of what action they should take next. Just as a syllabus helps students follow along in school, getting a small glimpse of your sales funnel lineup helps subscribers to follow your suggested recommendations in an orderly fashion. In addition, it helps you to make more sales after an initial signup offer.
- Brand Consistent – It’s important for your opt-in offers to be brand consistent. This means the visual branding and the quality of the items should be the same as your paid products. Keeping the topics, branding, and quality consistent throughout your entire business/sales funnel makes your audience feel safe whether they are signing up for a freebie or buying your most expensive product. They know what to expect from you and can easily identify your items. This feeling of safety is ultimately turns new subscribers into returning, loyal, and long-term customers.
- Focused Relevant Content – It’s easy to lose focus as you create an opt-in offer. To help you make your offer more effective, identify the most popular posts and topics on your site. Create an offer, for content that doesn’t already have an opt-in. The offer should be specifically related to the content and the target audience you want to attract.
- Dedicated Opt-in Landing Pages – Your landing pages can be short or long, but each should focus on one topic, solution, and offer. Design the page to introduce the freebie and provide details about the offer’s benefits. Include an opt-in form on the landing page to collect the name and email address, where the item will be delivered.
An effective lead magnet requires that it be something your audience needs, wants and is simple for them to understand. It should also be highly targeted to your audience.